100 Movie Days: Day 2 - About Time (2013)

It's About Time I talked about this movie. I liked it and it made me happy. Sadly, school, exams, general procrastination, and poor time management led me to let it fall by the way side but I'm free now so let's get talking about it.

*I've realized that this whole blog post is garbage. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote this but it's satisfactory for my 100 day challenge. If you want to see how my train of thought quickly broke down, read on. Otherwise, just watch the movie and skip to tomorrow's post. It should be better.

This movie was very fun and charming. It features the British comedic style we know and love as seen in Four Weddings and a Funeral, Bridget Jones' Diary, Notting Hill, Love Actually, as well as many productions featuring Rowan Atkinson. All of which were coincidentally written by the brilliant Richard Curtis.

The movie starts with 21-year old Tim (Domhnall Gleeson) finding out from his father (Bill Nighy) that the men in his family can time travel. With this ability he is able to rewrite any mistakes in his past. Sometimes it's right as they happen and sometimes he goes back years into his past and it results in some comedic and some more serious outcomes. He finds himself in the need of his new powers when he meets the wonderfully brilliant Mary (Rachel McAdams). There isn't much point to writing more about the plot, it's a rom-com you know how these end.

Here are two common takes on time travel:

1. When you go back in time, what you do has drastic repercussions on the present world. (eg. The Butterfly Effect)

OR

2. When you go back in time, you cannot change anything because present already features what you've gone back to try to do.....if that makes any sense to you. It makes sense to me. (eg. Red vs. Blue - if you get this reference then we can be best friends).

This movie follows the former and Tim is able to really screw things up but no worries he can go back and redo his first mistake to make it all right again.

As for the acting. Gleeson and McAdams seem to click quite well. I mean he's adorable and I think McAdams can basically play off any male lead. Tom Hollander (you might know him as Cutler Beckett from the Pirates series) plays a hysterically dreary counterpart to Tim's more or less upbeat demeanour. Tom's character Harry is simply miserable and it's great. Unfortunately, in the trailer they managed to leave out one of my favourite characters, Tim's enigmatic and absolutely wonderful sister Kit Kat. Although there is one scene (the car crash, sorry if it spoils anything) that features her in the movie but in the trailer they play it off

It's a cute movie, nothing too special, but it has sweet, comedic, and serious moments so it hits all the bases of the rom-com recipe. It's a great, stay in and out of the rainy weather, movie.

Just check out the trailer and see if you'd like it.



Notes:
- Poster image obtained from www.impawards.com
- You can find this movie at yify-torrents.com
Domhnall Gleeson (pronounced Donal from what I can tell) is son of actor Brendan Gleeson. They both appeared in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I, Domhnall as Bill Weasley and his father as Mad-Eye Moody.


Comments

Popular Posts