The Wedding Singer (1998)


I am going to try to get back into the swing of things with this post. Recently this blog has been sorely lacking any sort of....you know.....content. I've just been procrastinating so no real excuse. I'm still watching movies, although a lack of new releases because you know me, super cheap. I have a schedule in mind for these posts and we'll see if I can stick to it. Yes it is in part because I like to share what I like with others and want others to see it but also it does help me keep my time managed well. Without further ado, I bring you to our feature presentation.

The 80s. A simpler time with the cutting edge invention of the CD player and cellular phones. The fashion consisted of leather jackets, bad hair, leg warmers, and oh so much more. There is something hilariously nostalgic about the 80s culture. I think as much as we all look back on that era and laugh (whether we were a part of it or not) there is definitely something lovable about it.

No The Wedding Singer does not feature great acting or top of the line visuals but does give us a cliche romantic story and atrocious costuming, simply put the best of both worlds. There is just something about the Jerry Seinfeld-esque hairdo Adam Sandler sports and the innocent young Drew Barrymore (that we all know is a complete farce and we wouldn't have it any other way) that always draws me back to this movie. 

The stable of supporting characters is pretty great. Alexis ArquetteChristine Taylor, Allen Covert, and Ellen Albertini Dow create an atmosphere that is just enough weird and bit parts from Steve Buscemi, Jon Lovitz, and Billy Idol as himself, are just awesome. 

The Wedding Singer just gives me a ridiculous and only slightly exaggerated summary of the 80s and adds a love story along the way. Something to put on after a long day for some cheap laughs that make you think of simpler times. 

Notes: 
- Poster image obtained from www.impawards.com
- Ellen Albertini Dow who plays Rosie, often portrays the old lady role in movies and for good reason. This November she will celebrate her 100th birthday.

Comments

Popular Posts