Upcoming Movies in 2012 - Part 1

So it's been a little bit since I've posted something, not that it really matters.

I haven't really watched any new movies that recently, other than ones everyone has already seen, mainly cause I'm too cheap to actually go see movies in theaters.

In any case, this is a list of movies that I'm looking forward to in 2012. I'm sure there are better ones, but I took a quick look at a list and I picked out a few that looked interesting.

Upcoming Movies in 2012 - Part 1

These are also in no particular order.

American Reunion (aka American Pie 4) - Release Date: April 6, 2012

I always liked the American Pie films (the original three are the only ones that matter, kind of like Star Wars in that sense). Although I did like the third one, I was more partial to the characters in the first two.

Thankfully, all of my favourite characters are coming back who were absent in American Wedding, such as: Sherman, Nadia, Jessica, Heather, Oz, Vicky and of course all of the other main characters are back, including the epic Noah Levenstein (Jim's Dad), who is the only character to appear in every American Pie movie (even the terrible ones).
Basically the premise is that the East Great Falls Class of 1999 is back for their high-school reunion. Everyone's a little older but I'm sure they'll be just as much hilarity.
 

Men in Black III - Release Date: May 25, 2012
It's been 10 years since Men in Black II and I'm sure just about everyone forgot this series existed. Granted it's not the best of acting or writing but to me it was comical and enjoyable. Besides, Tommy Lee Jones' straight man contrasting against Will Smith is just hilarious. 
Some pretty big names are joining the cast, like Josh Brolin as young Agent K, Emma Thompson as Agent Oh, Alice Eve as young Agent Oh, Nicole Scherzinger, Jemaine Clement and...maybe Bill Hader? The internet is not a very reliable source of information sometimes so don't blame me if I'm wrong. A side note, Rip Torn who plays Agent Zed is considerably older than I had thought from watching the previous movies. When this movie comes out he will be 81, or putting it in perspective he was already 71 in Men in Black II.
I don't really know what the plot is about exactly but it's got something to do with time travel. It's probably just Agent K and Agent J saving the world from aliens again, pretty much a given. As much as I do like these movies, this one really has to be the last one.
No trailer yet, not that it would show much anyway.

The Expendables 2 - Release Date: August 17, 2012 

Now the acting, dialogue, and writing in the first Expendables was just atrocious. It was like a putrid, rotting bag of two-week old garbage and used diapers. The best part about it was that none of that stuff mattered. Just the action, antics and sheer stupidity of the film was what made it enjoyable. 

Basically everyone is back from the first one except Mickey Rourke. Bruce and Arnold are coming back, probably in just as small a role as they had in the first one. A few old veterans join the ranks: Jean-Claude Van Damme, possibly John Travolta and Nicolas Cage (reminds me of Face/Off), and Chuck Norris. Their roles will probably be pretty terrible but I won't be too disappointed if they are. 

Again no trailer but it probably wouldn't matter. Just watch the first Expendables, some old Chuck Norris films and like Universal Soldier and it'll probably be pretty close.  

Apparently, Sylvester Stallone is getting sued because he allegedly stole the screenplay from some other guy. Quite honestly I wouldn't be so quick to admit I wrote that particular screenplay. 

Ghostbusters III - Release Date: TBA 

Okay so I've been hearing news about this movie for years. It's been through a lot of script rewrites, director changes, and for the longest time not everyone was on board. There are a lot of rumors going around and I honestly have no idea which ones are true. This movie probably won't be coming out next year but Dan Aykroyd has said that they will start filming in Spring 2012, with or without Bill Murray. Now Murray has apparently been very reluctant to sign on and it's been so much of a back and forth I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I'll believe it when this movie actually comes out.  
      
The cast, tentatively anyway, brings back all the original main cast, except for Rick Moranis who has basically dropped off the face of the earth. He's retired and hasn't really done anything significant in over a decade. It's too bad really, he's a funny guy. So far it's unclear who will be taking the reins as the new generation of Ghostbusters, but apparently Aykroyd likes Matthew Gray Gubler for a spot on the team. I'm not sure how I feel about it but I think he'd do a pretty good job, if chosen. 
      
As much as this movie is finally almost here, there is so much that is still unfinished. It'll probably be at least until mid-late 2013, but who knows. I'm not sure why I decided to put this movie here since it's not even started filming yet.....oh well.


 

Well here are a couple new movies that are coming out later this year (one actually comes out tomorrow which is why I decided to actually finish writing this damn thing) but I think they deserve a mention.

In Time - Release Date: October 28, 2011

Wouldn't a world where everyone looked 25 be seriously messed up? That's pretty much what this whole movie is about. Some time in the future they have stopped the aging gene so everyone stops aging at 25. People don't work for money, they work for time. 

I like Justin Timberlake as an actor, I really do, but it's a shame he has to work beside Amanda Seyfried. There is just something I don't like about her. You gotta love that Olivia Wilde is in this movie; that definitely makes up for it. Of all the characters to play in this film she is playing Justin Timberlake's mom, which is a little weird but I mean so is the whole concept so.....yeah. Cillian Murphy is the main antagonist in the film which suits him well.

I think this movie will be pretty successful, bringing a lot of popular actors and actresses to the screen. It won't win any awards but it'll be a pretty solid action movie I'd say.




The Adventures of Tintin - Release Date: December 21, 2011

So I first heard about this movie a couple years ago and it peaked my interest. If you're not familiar with the Tintin comics, then stop hiding under rocks you've been missing out. They originated in French, and the stories follow a young reporter Tintin and his dog Snowy on all sorts of crazy adventures. It's since been translated to many different languages and there was even a TV show made for it.

As much as I was interested, I was also a little concerned since I wasn't sure how it would translate to the big screen. The fact that it's entirely in CG makes me worried but it's also really the only way they could make it properly. 

Directed by Spielberg and produced by Peter Jackson, it's bound to be pretty epic. Jackson originally cast Thomas Sangster (if you don't remember him, he's the little red-haired kid from Love Actually) to play the title character but he had to drop out due to delays in shooting and was later replaced by Jamie Bell (kid from Billy Elliot). Andy Serkis (guy who played Gollum) was cast as Tin Tin's good friend Captain Haddock. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were signed on as Thomson and Thompson, and although I'm not surprised in the least, I always thought they'd be played by guys who were a little older. The feared Red Rackham is played by your friendly neighborhood Bond, Daniel Craig.





I guess I'll stop there for now. I have a few others to write about but I'll do that later.

Comments

Popular Posts